Brazil head coach Tite has left his role with the national team after suffering a FIFA World Cup quarterfinal exit at the hands of Croatia on Saturday. Tite, who had been in charge since 2016 after replacing Dunga, had said in February it was always his intention to stand down after this tournament.
The 61-year-old helped Selecao win Copa America in 2019. Brazil, however, lost in the quarterfinal stages in successive World Cups including the 2018 edition, where they lost to Belgium.
“As I said, my cycle is over. I said it over a year and a half ago. I keep to my word. We shouldn’t make a drama out of it as I said this one and a half years ago. There are other great professionals that can replace me. There could be elements to analyze but the cycle is over.” Tite was quoted as saying.
Brazil’s World Cup journey came to an end
The most successful team in FIFA World Cup history, Brazil, is not going to add a sixth title in Qatar this year. The five-time winners, who are the only team in competition history to feature in every edition, are out of the tournament.
Croatia defeated the no.1 side 4-2 in the penalty shootout at the Education City Stadium after the game ended at 1-1 at the end of 90 minutes of regulation time plus 30 minutes of added extra time.
It was Neymar, who broke the deadlock in the first half of extra time to give Brazil the lead in the game. However, the euphoria didn’t last long as Bruno Petkovic slotted in the equalizer with three minutes remaining from the whistle.
Neymar tied Pele’s record for most goals for the national team, giving Brazil the lead in extra time. But he wasn’t among the four Brazilian players to take a penalty in the shootout, instead reduced to tears on the field at Education City Stadium while the red-and-white-clad Croatians celebrated.