1% chance, 99% faith – Pakistan’s prospect to qualify for the semi-finals of the 20-20 World Cup didn’t look too bright after having lost to Zimbabwe and India, earlier, in the tournament. However, with wins over the Netherlands and South Africa in the following games, the Men in Green kept themselves alive in the race.
However, they were heavily dependent on the Netherlands as their win over the Proteas in their last final Super 12 encounter, eventually, helped the Babar Azam-led side qualify for the coup de grace.
Netherlands’ win over Proteas has been a shocking one, to say the least. The Temba Bavuma-led side were shell-shocked following their embarrassing defeat. The defeat let Pakistan edge past them after winning against Bangladesh.
Following the win, Pakistan captain Babar Azam labelled cricket as a ‘funny game’ as no one gave them any chance to qualify after the defeat at the hands of Zimbabwe.
“It’s a team game. Cricket is a funny game. Appreciate my team and the way they played all matches. Pitch wasn’t easy to bat on. Little bit two-paced,” said Babar Azam reflecting on South Africa’s loss and their win on the final matchday in the Super 12.
“Me and Rizwan decided to go long, but unfortunately didn’t work out. Haris showed aggression, good to see him play. Looking forward to the semifinals. All of us are excited to play,” the captain added decoding their performance against Bangladesh.
Babar doesn’t have the spark to be a leader, he should quit captaincy: Kamran Akmal
There are many areas that the Pakistan team need to address before they take the field at Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) on November 9. Even though their middle order proved the critics wrong, the openers have been awful so far.
Babar Azam’s captaincy was also critisized by many former cricketers including his cousin brother Kamran Akmal, who advised him to quit captaincy post the 20-20 World Cup.
“You have to be a leader. Babar doesn’t have the spark to be a leader. He should quit captaincy so that he can focus on his batting. I have quit captaincy four times; so I know the pressures involved. He should step down from captaincy after this world cup,” said the former cricketer.
Leave a Reply